Bankrupt Tinkler loses bid to travel to US this weekend for job interview

Bankrupt former mining magnate Nathan Tinkler has lost a bid to fly to the US this weekend for a job interview next week, after a judge ruled his travel deadlines were not genuine.

Mr Tinkler said he wanted to attend a job interview with a mining company in New York on February 1 and travel to Hawaii for a reunion with the children from his first marriage.

He has surrendered his passport, and needed the permission of the trustee of his estate to travel.

Federal Court Judge John Nicholas said he "would not be making an order today that enables Mr Tinkler to hop on a plane tomorrow".

Mr Tinkler wanted to leave for the US on Sunday and planed to return by April 8.

Justice Nicholas said he was not convinced Mr Tinkler's travel deadlines were genuine and it was not satisfactory that the court had been put in a position to decide today.

Mr Tinkler mounted a challenge after the trustee of his bankrupt estate denied him permission to travel overseas, alleging he had not given a full account of his finances.

Tinkler a 'flight risk'

The trustee's solicitor told the court Mr Tinkler was considered a "flight risk" and asked for several stringent conditions if he were to be allowed to leave Australia for 10 weeks.

These included a surety of between $500,000 and $1,000,000, to cover the money he owes creditors if he did not return.

The trustee also wanted Mr Tinkler to submit full particulars of his trip expenses, provide evidence of a return ticket, be contactable by phone and email, and provide a short weekly update about how his employment opportunities were coming along.

The court also heard that while in Hawaii, Mr Tinkler would be staying in a property owned by his ex-wife and he should provide details of the accommodation.

Justice Nicholas will rule next week on whether Mr Tinkler will be allowed to leave Australia, and if so under what conditions.

Trip 'in everybody's best interests', Tinkler says

Earlier, Mr Tinkler told the court it would be "in everybody's best interests" that he be allowed to travel to the US in search of employment.

He said the company had an export focus and he would be helping them "find opportunities in the worldwide coal market place".

Mr Tinkler was asked whether his prospective employer in the US knew he was a bankrupt to which he replied "well they've got Google".

The court heard Mr Tinkler would be accompanied on the eight-week trip by his fiancee and their two children, and his father was footing the bill.

He said he had been unemployed since September last year and his fiancee was providing for the family's day-to-day expenses.

Trustee John Melluish of Ferrier Hodgson told the court he was concerned Mr Tinkler had not initially provided enough detail about how the trip was to be financed.

Mr Melluish said subsequent information provided made him "question the bona fides" of the trip.

Quizzed by the solicitor for the trustee over whether he was giving a full account of his finances Mr Tinkler said: "If you want me to get receipts for milk and bread, I will."

He was also worried that Mr Tinkler might not be so willing to return to Australia to meet his legal obligations if his family and job were overseas.

photo Bankrupt Tinkler loses bid to travel to US this weekend for job interview images

photo of Bankrupt Tinkler loses bid to travel to US this weekend for job interview

Article Bankrupt Tinkler loses bid to travel to US this weekend for job interview compiled by Original article here

More stories